Saturday, July 6, 2013
This cake was an absolute NIGHTMARE!!!
I don't know if there was something wrong with the fondant or if I was having a really bad day, but nothing was working right.
First, the fondant kept tearing as I covered the bottom layer. For those who have never worked with fondant, it is a huge pain in the a** to remove fondant from a chocolate frosted cake. I finally had to give up and put a second layer of fondant on the bottom. I was pretty frazzled after just covering one tier.
Second, the chevron print decided to rip as I was applying it. The worst part about that was that I spent 1/2 hour delicately cutting it in one long strip. So that had to be redone along with some improv to conceal tears that I couldn't otherwise cover.
By the time I got to the top tier I didn't care that there were wrinkles in the fondant, I was just happy it was still in one piece! Then I sprayed it gold. This was a new thing for me and I really liked the result. What I wasn't prepared for was that it was a bit tacky after it dried so I couldn't fix the fact that it is tilting slightly.
The flower was my redemption. It was beautiful!